Pages

Friday, February 19, 2016

Typos, Robbery, and Interns... oh my! (Internship Week 6)


This week’s internship activities felt a lot like the past couple of weeks – I spent my time typing up my scrapbook’s metadata. The exciting news, I’m almost finished with my metadata!! Check back next week and I’ll have a new adventure to report about. But, until then, here’s some takeaways from this week:

1. It’s important to transcribe items as they are, mistakes and all.
           
            One interesting thing I have noticed with my scrapbook is that the article clippings in it have a surprising amount of typos and errors. Granted, the errors are minor – often times I’ll find a word used twice. But still, the scrapbook is full of minor errors like this. So, while my computer’s autocorrect would like to fix all of these errors, it’s important to type them in as they are, because even typos can tell a story. For example, while I am used to living in an age of computers, it’s important to remember that computers were not common in 1979. Thus, many of the print articles in the scrapbook were likely created using a typewriter. As a result, it’s possible that with the amount of articles being printed by the church, minor typos were ignored because it would be too much work to go back and re-type.

2. Sometimes I feel like an investigative reporter.

            One article I transcribed this week talked about a church break-in. According to the article, Monday morning church staff found the offices ransacked. Yet, because nothing was missing, the church believed that the robbers were looking for tithing money but could not find it, given that the Sunday offering is not kept on the church premises. As I read this, I couldn’t help but think that most church members were aware that the Sunday offering was not kept on the church premises. Any church I have attended, I have always been made aware of the fact that the tithes and offerings are deposited immediately after the service. With this in mind, I couldn’t help but imagine that the people who broke into First Baptist Winter Park did not know this and were not church members. Reading stories like this and thinking about my personal experiences makes me feel like an investigative reporter as I imagine the way the puzzle pieces might fit together.

3. Speaking of personal experiences, there is always something in the scrapbook that relates to me!

            This is one fact I have been both surprised and intrigued by. Each week, as I am transcribing my scrapbook, I find something that relates to my life personally. For example, this week I read an article about the church hiring a new intern.  The new intern, Tim Benson, was a graduate of Winter Park High School where he was an active member in the student ministry, Campus Crusade for Christ. Furthermore, he was active in the college ministry Intervarsity Christian Fellowship during his time at the University of Florida. This article caught my attention given that I have been involved with the Campus Crusade for Christ ministry here at UCF and then have several friends involved with UCF’s Intervarsity Christian Fellowship.

No comments:

Post a Comment